NIST Manufacturing USA National Emergency Assistance Program
The U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has opened a funding opportunity for rapid, high-impact projects that support the nation’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Using funds appropriated by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act signed by President Trump on March 27, 2020, NIST will award these grants through the NIST Manufacturing USA National Emergency Assistance Program with no requirements for cost matching.
Funding will be awarded to eligible Manufacturing USA® institutes, a network of 14 public-private partnerships that work with academic and private sector manufacturing organizations on research and development and manufacturing skills training. Each institute focuses on a particular advanced manufacturing specialty such as biofabrication, 3D manufacturing or advanced functional fabrics.
Projects should focus on responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Projects may include medical countermeasures; non-medical countermeasures; leveraging institute capabilities to strengthen state and community resilience; grants to companies and technical support to accelerate productions of critical materials, equipment, and supplies; creation of additional production facilities; technology roadmapping for pandemic response and recovery; reshoring the manufacture of critical conventional drugs and ensuring supply chain for critical materials related to pandemic response; or workforce development and training for a skilled advanced manufacturing workforce.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of potential proposal topics, but examples. Please review the official proposal requirements for this opportunity using the following link: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=325811
If you are interested in submitting a proposal with AFFOA, please fill out this form. AFFOA will review and be in touch regarding next steps.
Executive Summary from Full Announcement
• Federal Agency Name: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), United States Department of Commerce (DOC)
• Funding Opportunity Title: NIST Manufacturing USA National Emergency Assistance Program
• Announcement Type: Initial
• Funding Opportunity Number: 2020-NIST-MFGUSA-NEAP-01
• Assistance Listing (CFDA Number): 11.620
• Anticipated Amounts: NIST anticipates funding individual projects at a level of approximately $250,000 – $10 million. Projects awarded under this NOFO will have a performance period of 12 – 18 months. See section II.2. in the full announcement text of this NOFO. Awards are subject to the availability of funding.
• Eligibility: NIST invites applications from current Manufacturing USA institutes not receiving financial assistance under Section 1741(e) of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 ((Pub. L. 116-92, December 20, 2019), to be codified at 15 U.S.C. § 278s(e)) at the time of proposal submission.
An institute may work individually or may include proposed subawards to other institutes and/or proposed contracts with other organizations as part of the applicant’s proposal.
For complete information on this opportunity and the full announcement, please visit this link: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=325811